Waitaki Water is an initiative of the Waitaki Irrigators Collective (WIC). Its objective is to provide a framework for organisations and individuals with an interest in supporting the health of the Lower Waitaki and surrounding catchments to work together to improve outcomes that the organisations and individuals could not achieve working individually.
Waitaki Water is facilitated by an Oversight Group made up of representatives from participating organisations. The Group’s purpose and role are to:
- Identify and prioritise issues related to water in the Lower Waitaki (including its tributaries and connected groundwater) and the surrounding catchments, including but not limited to: water use, water quality, biodiversity, cultural values and sites.
- Provide advice to WIC and other member organisations on potential projects and programmes to address the identified catchment issues and priorities.
- Facilitate and oversee (but not manage) projects or initiatives implemented by the member organisations, under the banner of Waitaki Water.
- Liaise with, or facilitate liaison with, other organisations who may be involved with projects or initiatives, or who hold responsibility for related tasks.
- Act as a communication channel between the various member organisations.
- Act as a communication channel between Waitaki Water and the wider community, through the provision of publicly-available information, such as annual “state of the catchment” reports, or reports on specific projects or activities.